Sunday, December 17, 2017

(TPS) Israel’s Security Cabinet approved a wide-scale deployment of Iron Dome anti-missile batteries on Tuesday amid concerns that the Gaza-based Islamic Jihad could launch a revenge attack on Israel in the wake of the October 30 demolition of a cross-border terror tunnel in which 12 of the group’s operatives were killed.

Security sources said that Israel has also sent messages to Hamas and Jihad that it will react forcefully to any violation of its sovereignty.

Meanwhile, the IDF also closed down three popular tourist spots along the Gaza border amid the tensions.

Earlier Tuesday, the London-based Arabic daily Al-Hayat reported that Islamic Jihad operatives have been monitoring IDF movements along the Israel-Gaza border and have put their forces on a high state of alert.

 

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories Maj. Gen. Yoav (Poli) Mordechai said over the weekend that Israel had been tracking Jihad plans to avenge the tunnel operation and warned that the group would be “playing with fire” should it try to avenge the tunnel demolition.

Join Our List
and receive information on community events, announcements, exclusive sales and our issue emails.